Brain Injuries Commonly Occur in Sports
Every individual who plays a sport should realize that there is always a risk of injuries such as muscle sprains and strains, broken bones, or torn ligaments. These injuries are generally no one’s fault, but simply a risk you take by playing the game. Therefore, athletes cannot usually recover legally for this type of injury.
However, on certain occasions, sports injuries can happen because of negligence. One injury among athletes that often involves negligence is a traumatic brain injury,1 commonly referred to as a TBI. These usually occur in contact sports including boxing, football, or hockey. Negligence and sports-related TBI can go hand-in-hand in many ways, including the following:
- A coach or team owner encourages players to engage in particularly rough contact during play
- A coach pushes athletes beyond their skill level or places them in dangerous scenarios
- Another player engages in particularly rough or violent behavior during play
- After a blow to the head, the athlete is not provided appropriate medical attention
- An athlete is encouraged or forced to return to play too soon following a head trauma
- Helmets or other safety equipment is inadequate or defective
- A league conceals or under-emphasizes the risks of multiple concussions
If any of the above apply, the injured athlete will likely have a valid claim to recover for their losses.
Football and hockey players file lawsuits
Former players in both the National Football League (NFL) and the National Hockey League (NHL) have pursued lawsuits against their respective leagues for negligently causing them to suffer multiple brain injuries and the long-lasting symptoms that come with them, including early-onset dementia, Alzheimer’s, or Parkinson’s disease, as well as depression and suicidal tendencies. The NFL players received a settlement of up to $5 million for each affected former player while the NHL case is still pending.
Call an experienced brain injury attorney in Atlanta for a free consultation
You do not have to be a professional athlete to recover for TBI suffered due to negligence in sports. If you have suffered wrongful injury, please call the law office of Boling Rice, LLC in Atlanta at 770-744-0890 to discuss your rights today.